Professional Tax Research Solutions from the Founder of Kleinrock. tax and accounting research
Parker Tax Pro Library
Accounting News Tax Analysts professional tax research software Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter View our profile on LinkedIn Find us on Pinterest
federal tax research
Professional Tax Software
tax and accounting
Tax Research Articles Tax Research Parker's Tax Research Articles Accounting Research CPA Client Letters Tax Research Software Client Testimonials Tax Research Software Federal Tax Research tax research

Accounting Software for Accountants, CPA, Bookeepers, and Enrolled Agents

CPA Tax Software

How to Handle Missing Forms W-2 and Forms 1099

(Parker Tax Publishing January 2022)

While the receipt of Forms W-2 and Forms 1099 by the end of January are key for taxpayers wishing to get a jump on preparing their tax returns, knowing what to do if those documents are not received is also important.

The due date for employers to submit Forms W-2 to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and to employees is January 31, 2022, and the date for payors to submit Forms 1099 to payees is also January 31, 2022. Penalties are stiff for employers and payors who don't provide these forms on time and grow stiffer as time goes on.

Observation: Practitioners should remind their self-employed clients that payments of nonemployee compensation by a trade or business are now required to be reported on a Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. The due date for furnishing a Form 1099-NEC is also January 31, 2022.

If a taxpayer does not receive Form W-2 or a Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., by early February, or if the information on the form that was received is incorrect, a taxpayer should take the actions outlined below.

1. Make Contact with the Employer or Payor

The employee/payee should either contact the employer or the payor and ask for his or her Form W-2 or Form 1099-R to be sent (or corrected, if that is the case) and double check that the employer/payor has the right address.

2. Call the IRS

If, by the end of February, the missing or corrected Form W-2 or Form 1099-R has not been received, then the taxpayer should call the IRS at 800-829-1040. The IRS will contact the employer/payor and request the missing or corrected form. The IRS will also send the taxpayer, or the taxpayer may download, a Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. When speaking with the IRS about the missing tax documents, the IRS will need the following information:

(1) Taxpayer name, address (including ZIP code), social security number, and phone number;

(2) The employer/payor's name, address (including ZIP code), phone number, and employer identification number (if known);

(3) If applicable, the dates the taxpayer worked for the employer; and

(4) If applicable, an estimate of the amount of wages paid and federal income tax withheld in 2021 (using, if possible, the final pay stub to determine these amounts).

3. Use Form 4852 to Estimate Payments, Wages, and Withheld Taxes

Taxpayers who haven't received their Form W-2 or Form 1099-R in time to file their tax return can use the Form 4852 to estimate their wages or payments and withheld taxes as accurately as possible. The IRS may delay processing the return while it verifies the information.

Taxpayers who need more time can apply for a six-month automatic extension to file their federal tax return by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Taxpayers may need to correct their tax return if they get their missing Form W-2 or Form 1099-R after their Form 1040 is filed. If the tax information on the Form W-2 or Form 1099-R is different from what was originally reported, an amended tax return is required. In this case, the taxpayer must file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to make the necessary changes.

Taxpayers who have not received a Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC and are unsure of their Form 1099 income should contact the payor and ask the payor to issue or re-issue (in the case of a lost form) the Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC. However, if a taxpayer has the records that prove how much income he or she received during the year, there is no requirement to attach the Form 1099-MISC or Form 1099-NEC to the tax return and the taxpayer can just use his or her records to complete the tax return.

For a discussion of the due dates for filing Forms W-2, Forms 1099-MISC, and Forms 1099-NEC, see Parker Tax ¶252,503.

Disclaimer: This publication does not, and is not intended to, provide legal, tax or accounting advice, and readers should consult their tax advisors concerning the application of tax laws to their particular situations. This analysis is not tax advice and is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer. The information contained herein is general in nature and based on authorities that are subject to change. Parker Tax Publishing guarantees neither the accuracy nor completeness of any information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for results obtained by others as a result of reliance upon such information. Parker Tax Publishing assumes no obligation to inform the reader of any changes in tax laws or other factors that could affect information contained herein.

Parker Tax Pro Library - An Affordable Professional Tax Research Solution.

Professional tax research

We hope you find our professional tax research articles comprehensive and informative. Parker Tax Pro Library gives you unlimited online access all of our past Biweekly Tax Bulletins, 22 volumes of expert analysis, 250 Client Letters, Bob Jennings Practice Aids, time saving election statements and our comprehensive, fully updated primary source library.

Parker Tax Research

Try Our Easy, Powerful Search Engine

A Professional Tax Research Solution that gives you instant access to 22 volumes of expert analysis and 185,000 authoritative source documents. But having access won’t help if you can’t quickly and easily find the materials that answer your questions. That’s where Parker’s search engine – and it’s uncanny knack for finding the right documents – comes into play

Things that take half a dozen steps in other products take two steps in ours. Search results come up instantly and browsing them is a cinch. So is linking from Parker’s analysis to practice aids and cited primary source documents. Parker’s powerful, user-friendly search engine ensures that you quickly find what you need every time you visit Our Tax Research Library.

Parker Tax Research Library

Dear Tax Professional,

My name is James Levey, and a few years back I founded a company named Kleinrock Publishing. I started Kleinrock out of frustration with the prohibitively high prices and difficult search engines of BNA, CCH, and RIA tax research products ... kind of reminiscent of the situation practitioners face today.

Now that Kleinrock has disappeared into CCH, prices are soaring again and ease-of-use has fallen by the wayside. The needs of smaller firms and sole practitioners are simply not being met.

To address the problem, I’ve partnered with a group of highly talented tax writers to create Parker Tax Publishing ... a company dedicated to the idea that comprehensive, authoritative tax information service can be both easy-to-use and highly affordable.

Our product, the Parker Tax Pro Library, is breathtaking in its scope. Check out the contents listing to the left to get a sense of all the valuable material you'll have access to when you subscribe.

Or better yet, take a minute to sign yourself up for a free trial, so you can experience first-hand just how easy it is to get results with the Pro Library!


James Levey

Parker Tax Pro Library - An Affordable Professional Tax Research Solution.

    ®2012-2022 Parker Tax Publishing. Use of content subject to Website Terms and Conditions.

IRS Codes and Regs
Tax Court Cases IRS guidance